The following talking points are being circulated by Congressional staffers on the left. Here they are and how to counter them pithily:
- "Hold the insurance companies accountable." To whom and for what? They're already overregulated and overmandated - by you - to the point that insurance is now unaffordable for millions.
- "Remove them from between you and your doctor." ...And insert a government bureaucrat instead!
- "No discrimination for pre-existing conditions. No dropping your coverage
because you get sick." This will ensure that irresponsible people get rewarded with healthcare after the fact, and responsible get punished with more expensive insurance! (More young people will risk going uninsured because it will be so unaffordable thanks to you.)
- "No more job or life decisions made based on loss of coverage." If this is the goal, why not stop subsidizing people to get healthcare through their jobs? Change the tax code, not the delivery system. (This is proof they want to kill the insurance industry, not build the individual market.)
- "No need to change doctors or plans." You'll be trapped in a single, monolithic government plan. Your doctors and care will be selected for you by bureaucrats.
- "No co-pays for preventive care. No excessive out-of-pocket expenses, deductibles, or co-pays. No yearly or lifetime cost caps on what insurance companies cover." Overconsume! Overconsume! Make sure it's expensive for everyone! Especially taxpayers!
Then, if you get some absurd claim about why the other side has no ideas for improving healthcare, send them here.
PS: Please send this, right or wrong, (i.e. rat on me) to a White House staffer. Tell them I said fuck off while you're at it.